FARM LEASE BUILDER INSTRUCTIONS
Welcome to the Farm Lease Builder! This tool will take you through a series of lease-related questions. Your answers will be used to create a draft Farm Lease Agreement.Your draft Farm Lease Agreement can be downloaded as a Microsoft Word document and edited by landlords, tenants, and lawyers. The draft is meant for educational and informational purposes only.The instructions below will help you navigate the Farm Lease Builder.
- Answer all of the questions. You will produce the best draft lease by answering all the questions in the interview. If you don’t know the answer and it is a “fill in the blank” question, type in “not sure.” If you don’t know the answer and it is a “yes” or “no” question, choose one and you will be able to change it later.
- Carefully read each question and any legal guidance that goes with it. For the legal guidance, please hover over the information icon next to the question. Additional guidance will appear in the document you generate once you complete the interview.
- Navigating between pages: Use the “Next” and “Back” buttons at the bottom of each page to navigate between pages of the interview. Do not use the Back button on your browser. If you are relying on saved answers, you will not have to answer questions you've already answered, but you will have to put your cursor on the question in order to have the answer appear.
- Navigating from Topic to Topic: To navigate between question topics, select the topic name from the Topic Progress column on the left of the screen.- Saving Your Answers For Later: If you do not complete all interview questions or want to save your answers for later use in the Farm Lease Builder, select the “Save” button at the bottom of any page or prior to exiting the tool. Follow the prompts to save your answers. Each time you use the Farm Lease Builder you will need to re-save your answers to preserve any changes.
- Downloading the draft Farm Lease Agreement. There are additional instructions at the end of the interview that will help you download the draft lease to your phone, tablet or computer. The document can be downloaded and edited as a Microsoft Word file.
- Reviewing the draft Farm Lease Agreement. Review the draft lease carefully and be sure to consult a lawyer before using. You may wish to add additional details or tailor some of the provisions to suit your individual situation.
This Farm Lease Builder tool was created by attorneys at Vermont Law School’s Center for Agricultural and Food Systems (“CAFS”). The tool is intended to educate and inform prospective landlords and tenants about farm leases. As such, it is designed to be simple and accessible and may omit terms or language relevant to your specific circumstances.
Please carefully read through the Farm Lease Builder questions, educational notes, draft Farm Lease Agreement, and any other instructions and annotations included in the tool.
The information on this site is not legal advice and is not guaranteed to be correct, complete or up-to-date. Legal issues are highly specific to individual circumstances, and no general information or legal resource can fit every circumstance.
You acknowledge that your use of the Farm Lease Builder does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and CAFS or you and the individual members of CAFS and furthermore does not constitute the provision of legal advice or other professional advice. You should seek advice from a licensed attorney before relying on the Farm Lease Builder tool and should engage a licensed attorney to review and edit any draft lease documents you create using the tool. By using and relying on the Farm Lease Builder and any draft lease documents that you create, you assume all risk and liability that may result.
Please select the “Next” button below to proceed to the interview.
If you are a returning user and have saved your answers from a previous visit, please select “Click here to use saved answers”, then select the “Next” button below to proceed to the interview.If you are a returning user and do not wish to use your saved answers, please select the “Next” button below to proceed to the interview.